Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My new creations










I've gotten busy all of a sudden. I'm doing some pro bono nonprofit work, connecting with the ICA (Institute of Cultural Affairs) facilitators network here and teaching an English class. It's a bit of a shock to be so busy, but I interested in it all. I'm having to reprioritize my time a bit. More on those experiences later.

I am still managing to hang on to my once a week mosaics class and I continue to love it. It's a bit like gardening for me - I completely lose myself in it. No multitasking, no coordinating multiple family schedules and needs. I turn off my phone and just cut tile.

Here's a photo of my teacher Monica, and my friend, Cecilia, who has now joined our class. We went on an outing to buy some beautiful ceramic tiles and see some cool mosaics along the way. We stopped for sushi and lots of laughs afterward.

My two latest projects are the box and the flower pot - thanks for indulging me and looking at all three angles of the pot. I haven't told Dan yet, but I am thinking if I can't get a job upon returning to Minnesota, maybe I can just make mosaic flower pots! :-)
Laura

5 comments:

  1. Forget about mosaic pots! Mosaic houses ought to be your specialty! Stucco houses with colorful mosaics embedded in the stucco in interesting, unique patterns. Maybe it has been done before, but if it has it never caught on the way it could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Art is a wonderful way to express yourself and take a mini-vacation. I lose myself in doing watercolor. You have some neat results but even if they were atrocious, the process itself is a pleasure.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hey Mom, yes, you're right. It feels wonderful to have the time to tap into a creative side of myself. Creating areas of beauty is very gratifying though - whether its in the garden or doing mosaics. @Anonymous- next project - putting up a mosaic mural on the outside of the house! Houses are made from cement here - so the picture structure to build a mosaic upon. Keep posted for more to come about that project.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, make sure you are allowed to alter the outside of the house. A permit might be required, as for a sign, and of course your landlord would have to approve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous - I think you must be teasing me - after seeing all the graffiti and guerrilla public art in every nook and cranny of this city - I'm not even sure if permits exist for putting up public art! But yes, the owner of the house has asked me to put one up. (smile) thanks. Laura

    ReplyDelete