Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Inspired by art


Valparaiso is a hub of public art, perhaps further lending to the comparisons to San Francisco. It's really fun to wander the streets and see murals, graffiti art, sculptures, mosaics in every nook and cranny. I've decided to jump in.

I'm learning how to make mosaics under the tutelage of an artist here (Monica Moreno Reyes) and hope to be doing a mosaic wall design soon. For now, here's my first creation - a trivet no less (we needed one in the house)! Perhaps not what my folks had in mind when they sent me to Oberlin College, but I've always wanted to learn how to do mosaics and I'm totally enjoying it! Plus, its a great way to channel my spring gardening energy since I find myself in fall with no garden.
LJ

4 comments:

  1. Very cool trivet, Laura. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    Love, Mom (Actually that is what I had in mind when you went to Oberlin--either that or basket weaving)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! Never know where a good education will lead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying all the blogs! It will be fun to see your proudly displayed trivet in your cool Minneapolis kitchen next year. Have you read the book Broken For You? It is a lovely story and has mosaic as it's central theme. xo Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors! Now you will have to paint your kitchen to match.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete